Beef curry is one of the most commonly cooked in dishes in loads of Kenyan homes.
It also has to be one the most underestimated delicacy in the history of all cooking.
This spicy-sweet-savoury delicacy is a ticking time bomb of flavours that explode in your mouth and leave you wanting more. We believe in mastering the skill of mixing spices and for today’s #ZumiRecipe we’re showing you how to make yourself a yummy bowl of this heavenly goodness with two secret ingredients that will have you licking your plate.
What you need:
½ Kg stewing beef, cut into 2-inch cubes
1 big onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup of freshly chopped coriander
1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp garam masala
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tbsp oil
1/2 cup beef stock
What to do:
1. Add oil, chopped onions, garlic, spices, salt and pepper.
2. Cook until onions become translucent, for about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, sugar (you can also use honey but start with half a teaspoon for your first try and see how it goes) and then bring to a boil.
4. Pour the mixture into the food processor and blend all into a paste.
5. Brown the meat on all sides, pour in the blended spice paste, stock and add lemon zest. Cover the lid and cook for 30 minutes on medium heat.
You can serve this tender and delish beef curry with steamed rice, chapati or some good ol’ ugali and greens.
Secret Ingredients: The lemon and sugar/ honey adds a sweet taste to the beef that mixes with the masalas to give it a delightful flavor that will get you hooked on this recipe.
Try it out and show us what you made in the comment section below. Have you tasted pasta made in vodka? Check out the recipe for a potential fave dish.